Sean Flint (left) and Justin Whalin (right) play a set
Dysfunctional Method (L to R) Justin Richmeier, Kyle Jordan, Jordan Richmeier
On March 14th 2008, the Plattsmouth Public Library hosted their very first Open Mike Night to great success. The night was kicked off by the acoustic Guitar duo Sean Flint Justin Whalin who did a number of covers and self written songs. Next Erin Petry sang “Ten Thousand Angels” by LeAnn Rimes and her parents, Byron and Julie, sang “It Must Be a Miracle.” The last act of the night was popular local band Dysfunctional Method, consisting of Kyle Jordan, and brothers Justin and Jordan Richmeier. The inaugural run attracted over 70 attendees and has inspired the library to move to a larger venue.
Other state qualifiers are:
· Lizz Bradbury, 3rd Place – Humorous Prose
· Steven Applegate, 3rd Place – Extemporaneous Speaking
· Robert Friedman, 3rd Place – Persuasive Speaking
· Robert Friedman, 3rd Place – Informative Speaking
Congratulations to all the qualifiers and good luck at State!
The Fraternal Order of Police Lodge #20 would like to announce the lodges first “Golf Scramble” May 9th at Bay Hills Golf Course. The entry fee is $200 per team. Contact Deputy Doug Durban at 297-0535 for more information.
The Tobacco Free Cass County Coalition will hold their next meeting Friday, March 21, 2008 at 8:30 am.
Weeping Water Public Schools will be holding a Bingo night to raise funds for the Weeping Water High After Prom. The Bingo Night will be held March 22, 2008 from 7:00 pm-9:00 pm at the Weeping Water Legion Club.
The Plattsmouth Early Childhood Center located at 902 Main Street is in the process of taking applications for the upcoming preschool year. We have a variety of programs available in our center for young children in Plattsmouth. Call the office at 296-5250 to request and application from to be mailed or stop by the center to pick one up. We will be happy to show you the facilities and the options available. Apply now while openings exist.
Plattsmouth Public Library will be holding their popular Soup Luncheon April 10th at 11:00 am – 1:00 pm. Cost is $5, a selection of homemade soups and desserts will be available, and takeouts are welcome. Call and ahead @ 296-4154 and we will have your order ready!
March 27th the Plattsmouth Community Center is hosting the second of the Extension Senior Series sponsored by the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension. This month’s topic will be Brain-Healthy Life Choices. The Program will start at 12:30 pm and pre-registration is not required. For more information please call Mary Ann Holland at 402-267-2205.
- Boogie Woogie: this class is to help your toddler develop motor skills, rhythm, song and beginning social skills. There is also gym activities involved. Class meets Tuesdays & Thursdays 10:30 a.m.-11:30 am for seven weeks.
- Fitness fun: Children will be playing in the gym working on motor skills. The children will play age appropriate games and learn to play with others. The class will meet Tuesdays & Thursdays 11 a.m.-12 p.m. for seven weeks.
- Play-N-Wave: Children must be potty trained for this class. Half the class is spent in the gym and the other half is spent in the water. This class will meet M/W/F 9:00 a.m.-10:30 a.m. for seven weeks
And also the following personal training packages will be offered (each class will be limited to five participants):
- Group Personal Training Weights: This group will meet in Mondays and Wednesday at 9:15 am in the Wellness Area. You will work with a personal trainer to set up a weight training routine that will give you fast results. This program lasts for seven weeks.
- Group Personal Training Cardio: This group will meet Mondays and Wednesday at 10:10 am. This seven week class will improve and maintain your cardiovascular health. This specialty class is great if you are training for a long distance event or if you are just getting started.
- Group Personal Training Core: This group will meet Tuesdays and Thursdays at 11:15 a.m. The focus of this group is to help strengthen and develop your abs, back and gluts. This class will not be limited to mat exercise and lasts for seven weeks.
- Body Evaluation: This program will meet Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays at 10:10 a.m. for a combination weight training and cardio program and on Fridays you will meet with a nutritionist. This class is taught for seven weeks.
For more information and pricing call Becky at 402-306-9629
USDA Rural Development Representative Judy James will be at the Plattsmouth Public Library from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm every Thursday as part of the 502 Direct Home Loan Program. The purpose of the program is to provide low income people the opportunity to own adequate, modest, decent, safe and sanitary homes in rural areas. The loans are to acquire build rehabilitate, improve or relocate dwellings and provide adequate water and waste disposal systems. Call Judy at 402-423-9683 Ext. 4 for more information or to setup and appointment.
The Plattsmouth Chamber of Commerce is selling Chamber Bucks at the Chamber office. Chamber Bucks can be used just like legal tender in the city of Plattsmouth, come in $5 increments, and make great birthday, Mother’s Day or Father’s Day gifts. Contact the Chamber at 402-296-6021 for more information.